Advising & Mentoring
OMSA offers proactive mentoring services to students at Illinois through its fulltime professional staff and more than 50 graduate students hired and trained by OMSA.
The centerpiece of OMSA's general mentoring services is the Graduate Mentor program, which provides assistance to freshmen students in the President's Award Program and Educational Opportunity Program, and other students. GM's are assigned to students before classes begin, and students are introduced to the GM's and to OMSA's services at the Academic Resources Seminar for Success, typically held on the Friday before the first day of the fall semester.
Illinois students at all grade levels can take advantage of OMSA's general mentoring services via appointments and on a walk-in basis. Staff members help with graduate school preparation, career development, leadership skills, study abroad and personal and academic issues, and they connect students with alumni, recruiters and other valuable resources. They continue to serve students until graduation and often beyond.
- Danette Griffith, Student Success Advisor
- Jazmine Thompson, Student Success Advisor
- Haro Wade, Student Success Advisor
- Brian Becker, Academic Outreach Advisor
- Jennifer Jenkins, Office Support Associate
- Kimberly Alexander-Brown, Senior Associate Director
- Domonic Cobb, Director, Office of Minority Student Affairs & TRIO Programs