OMSA Ambassadors are established and burgeoning campus leaders that uphold OMSA's mission to provide exceptional support services to first generation, low income, and historically underrepresented students at Illinois. In doing so, the OMSA Ambassadors learn to exemplify the four tenets of student excellence: Achievement, Leadership, Professionalism, Service
Want to learn more?
Our OMSA Ambassadors are a core group of student leaders who strive to improve themselves and the lives of students throughout campus daily. Through their commitment to our four tenets, OMSA Ambassadors attain and demonstrate the skills necessary to be extremely competitive candidates in the workplace, role models to the community, and advocates for the Office of Minority Student Affairs.
What we do
- Plan, promote, and attend OMSA events to develop their outreach skills including advocacy, oral/written communication, and intercultural fluency.
- Student Panels, Campus Tours, Tabling Events, and more!
- Participate in regular professional development workshops led by the University Career Center to cultivate desirable hiring competencies and improve their professional portfolios.
- Resume/cover letter workshops, LinkedIn Accounts, mock interviews, and more!
- Learn and apply interpersonal techniques to effectively engage their peers, visitors, and campus partners regarding OMSA initiatives.
- Lead bi-weekly team meetings to practice teamwork, communication, and project management in a low risk environment with feedback from their peers and advisor.
- Attend Illinois Leadership Center workshops to enhance their Career Readiness Competencies as outlined by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
- Competencies range from critical thinking and work ethic to digital technology.
- Coaching provided to complete the Illinois Leadership Center Leadership Certificate.
- Network with the wide range of units across campus to enhance OMSA's presence and hone the soft skills necessary to secure potential career and internship opportunities.
- Build a comprehensive portfolio of tangible achievements to reference on their resumes, scholarship applications, and during interviews.